We believe that everybody can have a nice smile. The main problem for many people is the colour of their teeth. Teeth can be yellow, dark or just stained. Whitening or bleaching restores the natural tooth colour beyond the natural colour. Primary teeth appear whiter than adult teeth as adult teeth become darker due to changes in the mineral structure of the tooth as the enamel becomes less porous.
Causes of discolouration:
- Bacterial pigments
- Food stuffs, carotenoids, and xanthenoids
- Coloured liquids like tea, coffee and red wine.
- Chlorhexidene mouthwash
- Antibiotics, tetracyclines
- Enamel defects and hypoplasia
- Trauma and root canal treatment on single front teeth
Most suitable smiles
- Natural tooth surfaces –Yellow teeth respond the best
- Tertracycline discolouration – More intensive treatment needed
- Single tooth discolouration – Internal Bleaching needed
- Artificial surfaces like crowns and large bonded fillings
- Severe Tetracycline staining
Thorough assessment to your dental health and suitability for whitening. Then impressions are taken for home bleaching trays.
Zoom Whitening with home back up kit.
- Isolation of the gums
- Application of Zoom bleaching gel
- Activation of the gel with a Zoom light
- Fitting of the home maintenance kit
Home maintenance: we supply you with custom made trays and enough gel to complete the treatment at home to reach the optimal tooth shade.
The bleaching gel is either carbamide peroxide, which breaks down in the mouth to form hydrogen peroxide, or hydrogen peroxide itself. The home bleaching gel typically contains between 10% and 44% carbamide peroxide, which is roughly equivalent to a 3% to 16% hydrogen peroxide concentration.
In ofice gel: 15% carbamide peroxide = 6% Hydrogen Peroxide gel
- Temporary sensitivity. Rare with carbamide peroxide. In 20 years we have only ever experienced sensitivity on rare occasions.
- Pain where dentine exposed. We cover these areas with a block out gel. We never bleach these areas and protect the exposed dentine with a barrier gel during treatment. We also supply special toothpastes and gels to reduce sensitivity.
- Mild irritation to the gums
- Tooth whitening does not damage the enamel surface but excessive bleaching can harm the enamel surface.
Book a 15 minute Zoom whitening consultation with one of our hygienists or doctors, where we will assess your teeth for treatment suitability. We may take the initial impressions at this stage for the home whitening kit. Then In office Zoom whitening for 90 minutes
Please call us for a consultation